Thursday, April 06, 2006

Country

OK, well, I made a comment on FOUR DINNERS the other day so I thought I'd follow it up with a blog...For anyone who didn't read his blog, it was about some Islamic people in his community who were gung ho about their religion and how, FOUR DINNERS, felt that if they were to live in his country they should assimilate to that country, not change it to reflect where they came from. So, I commented partially in agreement, using the language issue here in the U.S. as a point. Others commented that English is not the native language. So, I'll go from there:

I know English is not the native language. I grew up in a state with 7 reservations (more than any state including the provinces of our neighbor, Canada) and I took enough Native American courses to nearly receive a minor on the subject. Nearly one of every three friends I have from back home either grew up on a reservation or can trace their ancestry to one or more Native American clans. I'm very passionate about the Native American cause, I believe the wrongs done over a century ago are continued by the dependence that the U.S. government forces onto the reservations. This, and the civil wars that are seen on the reservations today, will have to be another blog, I just don't have the time right now.

For the country established in 1776 with the declaration of independence known as the United States of America, English is the national, and common language. I can trace my ancestry back to 1643 when a group of Englishmen from Liverpool traveled here by boat. Later, there were Irish, and German. All of those people had to change when they came to this country. Some had to learn a new language, others had to fight prejudice.

There are certain qualities that make each country on this planet different from each other, be it religion, language, or government. What defines this nation is the common language of English, the common belief in freedom of religion, and freedom of government which is, for better or worse, a capitalistic government.

Regardless of how anyone feels about each issue, common qualities are what make a country. If you don't like those qualities, at least here, you are allowed to leave and find a country that suits you. My point really is, that we can be as multicultural as all, but if we don't hold on to at least a few key ideas such as having a common language, then we aren't a country anymore, there's no substance left, the water colors are just too diluted to be a vibrant painting anymore.

5 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

'N lets keep it vibrant!

Think you saw beyond my temporary rage. Thankyou.

Told I'd mellow with age. Somethin' went wrong there!

'Fraid I'm angry again. Not controversial this time though. ('N if it is? Sod 'em all)

5:51 PM  
Blogger Heidi Grether said...

Why keep fighting. Truth is, we are all human beings. All descendants of Abraham, all brothers and sisters, all the same Father, all earthlings. Why do we fight and loathe and argue? It is so silly to me. We all have the same creator. None is less or more. None greater or lessor. Let's lay down the guns and appreciate each other. Except for gerbils. They truly are lessor!!! Hey 4D, I am with you there!

11:45 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Yeah, I understand the not wanting to fight..I agree that we should get along better as we are all members of this world! Still, there are things to debate, not fight about. I love a good debate, I love to hear opinons, I think it would be sad if everyone thought exactly alike...

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, some people are human beings. I meet a few in my job that makes me wonder though.

I too have done my family tree, we were all peasants from Ireland. Not one Abraham amongst them.

2:30 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

True, true, there are some I wonder about here too;)

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home