Wednesday, July 06, 2011

100 days, 100 runs

I've just moved to Pablo, Montana, a little town just south of the southern-most tip of Flathead lake. It's a beautiful area to explore, but I just moved here and don't know where to go yet.

Worse, I can't seem to find any sort of running group around here.

I'd thought that coming back to the States from Scotland would be my ticket back into running.

It's not as though Scotland doesn't have running groups, in fact there was one just three miles (uphill mostly) from where I lived. But the problem arose that they met at 6pm twice a week and I was lucky to be able to get out of the lab by 8pm. I thought that maybe I could jog over there and then back, but that just added another hour to my workout, or so. And by the time I got up all those hills to do a run, I wasn't much in the mood for a hill-run.

You'd think I could've just hopped a bus, they have those in Scotland too. But the buses in Dundee run on a peculiarly designed schedule and one that most outsiders and even most locals haven't nailed down just yet. Anyway, at rush-hour, it'd be faster to run up those damn hills.

I also didn't have a car, left it in my parents garage in Montana. So, I did my best to train on my own and even ran the Edinburgh marathon last year. But, let's face it, it's hard to run 20 miles alone. It can be hard on some days to run 1 mile alone. Motivation is key, and at the moment severely lacking.

But I'm back in Montana, although the car didn't quite make it up here to Pablo, I have a replacement vehicle so I can drive anywhere to run. I could drive up into the mountains for a bear chase or curve halfway around the lake for a lake-view jog. So far I've barely managed to get out my front door and a mere 5 miles down a somewhat infrequently used road. It's a nice little run, but not enough motivation to keep me at it. But today is the day to turn it all around. I'm tired of my own excuses and have decided to use this somewhat cobwebbed blog to do it.

Day One....4.68 miles after work down that somewhat infrequently used road.

I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home